How safe is your home? We all try to keep our homes safe for kids, pets, visitors, and ourselves, but it’s easy to miss things. Let’s take a look at some steps you can take to help prevent poisonings.
Poison Center Number
Do you have the poison center number handy? You never know when a poisoning will happen, so be prepared.
- Keep a poison center magnet on your refrigerator. If you don’t have a magnet, you can call 1-800-222-1222 to request one or request one online.
- Save the number in your cell phone – 1-800-222-1222. If you’re on a mobile device, you can download our information directly to your contacts.
Medications are the top cause of poisonings among all age groups.
- Keep medications in their original containers, or in a child-resistant pill reminder box.
- Keep medications up high, out of the reach of children and pets, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Go through your medications at least twice a year, and get rid of ones that have expired or that you no longer need.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that can make you sick, or even kill you. You can’t see or smell it, which makes it especially dangerous.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in your home, and test them regularly to make sure they are in working order. There should be at least one alarm on each floor, and at least one alarm near each sleeping area.
- Have your heating equipment (furnace, etc.) tested by a heating professional before you turn it on in the fall.
There is a wide variety of cleaning products out there—everything from toilet bowl cleaner to furniture polish to dish soap.
- Keep all cleaning products up high, out of the reach of children and pets.
- Store cleaning products in their original containers.
- Store cleaning products separately from food and personal care products.
Certain plants can be harmful if they are eaten by people or pets.
- Know what plants you have in your house. If you’re not sure, take samples to a local nursery, which may be able to identify them for you.
- Once you know what you have, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222 or chat online to find out if the plants in your home can be poisonous.
If you have any questions about possibly poisonous products, you can always call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, or chat online. We’re here 24/7 to help.