Some household products can be poisonous

Putting medicine up high
Keeping medications up high is just one of the steps you can take to help prevent poisonings at home. (Image from the Up and Away campaign)

Did you know most poisonings happen at home? Every day we use products to keep our cars working, our homes clean and our bodies healthy. Most of these products have gotten safer over the years. However, some still can be poisonous to people or animals if used in the wrong way. Here are some basic steps you can take to keep your family and pets safe:

Use everyday products safely:

  • Keep products in their original containers with the cap on tight.
  • Store up high, out of sight of children and pets, and away from food and drink.
  • Read the label before using the product each time.
  • Get rid of unwanted products safely. There may be instructions on the product label, or you can try calling your town office or local waste disposal facility.
  • Store the poison center number, 1-800-222-1222, in your cell phone. You can call us with questions or if something unexpected happens.

Here are just a few household items that can be poisonous if used in the wrong way:

  • Acids and alkalis, such as toilet and drain cleaners and hair relaxers
  • Alcohol-containing products, such as hand sanitizer, mouthwash and perfume or cologne
  • Automotive products like antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid and gasoline
  • Button or disc batteries
  • Certain glues and adhesives, such as epoxy
  • Household cleaners like furniture polish, pine oil and laundry detergent or pods
  • Medications
  • Pesticides, such as mothballs and rat poison

Remember, the poison center is here 24/7 to help you treat possible poisonings, or just to answer your questions. Call 1-800-222-1222 or chat online.

This entry was posted in Poison Prevention. Bookmark the permalink.