If you have ever had to take a young child to the emergency room, you know that the process can feel like an eternity—driving to the hospital while worrying if your child is all right, registering at the emergency department and then waiting to see a nurse or doctor. By the time the whole trip is done, it may have taken hours just to find out, hopefully, that your child is fine and you can go home.
|Image by Kengo Preston.
Imagine if you could get fast, expert advice without needing to leave your home—that you could have the answer you need in minutes over the phone rather than spending hours in an emergency department waiting room or exam room.
The Northern New England Poison Center provides just that. Nine out of 10 times that people call the poison center about young children, they can be treated at home over the phone. If you or your child took the wrong medication or too much medication, or swallowed something that wasn’t food or drink, contact the poison center to get fast first-aid advice that can save you time and money. In many cases the poison center will call you back to check on you and your child and see if you have any questions.
The NNEPC is committed to making it as easy as possible for you to reach us. Not only can you call us on the national poison center help line, 1-800-222-1222, you can also get quick advice from the same poison experts by texting the word POISON to 85511, or by chatting online on our website.