Join Our Email List
“Keep products in their original containers.” Whether it’s a medication, a cleaner or an automotive product, this is one of our top tips for preventing poisonings, because mistakes are easy … Continue reading →
What is an eraser?
An eraser is a piece of rubber used to remove pencil drawings.
Erasers are not poisonous if swallowed, but larger pieces can be a choking hazard.
What happens if someone swallows part of an eraser?
The person will be fine. Eating a bit of eraser will not cause any symptoms.
If someone swallows a large enough piece, they may choke, gag or spit up. The piece may also get stuck in the intestines. This can cause stomach pain or discomfort and may make the person throw up.
What should I do if someone has swallowed an eraser?
Give the person a bit of water to wash out the taste.
If the person has stomach pain or is throwing up, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.
If the person appears to be choking, call 911.
Even though erasers are nontoxic, swallowing a large piece can make a person choke. Keep erasers and other small parts out of the reach of young children who may put things in their mouth.
Last Updated: Tuesday October 4th 2016