Why you should keep products in their original containers

“Keep products in their original containers.” Whether it’s a medication, a cleaner or an automotive product, this is one of our top tips for preventing poisonings, because mistakes are easy to make!

Windshield washer fluid and antifreeze
Keeping automotive products like windshield washer fluid and antifreeze in their original containers can help prevent poisonings. Photo by Paul Cooper, used under Creative Commons 2.0.

For example, every year we receive dozens of calls about people accidentally drinking automotive products that were placed in drink bottles. It’s a mistake that adults are just as likely to make as kids.

Maybe you were out of windshield washer fluid and your friend poured some of theirs into a sports drink bottle for you. Or perhaps you needed to drain off some antifreeze and collected it in a soda bottle. If they’re not in the original container, these products can easily end up in your mouth instead of your car!

If for some reason you have to keep a product in a drink bottle or some other container, peel off all the original drink labeling, make sure you clearly mark what is in the bottle, and store it up high, out of the reach of children and pets, with the cap on tight. Always store products in a separate area from any food or drink.

Always put products away as soon as you are done using them to prevent poisonings among young children. Remember that a bad smell is not enough to keep a kid from drinking something.

This entry was posted in Poison Prevention. Bookmark the permalink.