Join Our Email List
During the COVID-19 pandemic, poison centers across the country have seen increases in certain types of poisonings. These poisoning risks will be of concern to teachers, nurses and other staff … Continue reading →
What is silica gel?
Silica gel is a mineral found in nature that absorbs moisture. Small paper or plastic packets of silica gel are packed into shoe boxes, medication bottles and other commercial goods to keep them dry. It is also used in cat litter.
Silica gel packets usually say “Do not eat contents” so it is not mistaken for food, but silica gel is not harmful if you eat it.
What happens if someone swallows silica gel?
The person will be fine. Eating silica gel will not cause any symptoms. The biggest risk is that little children can choke on the packet.
What should I do if someone swallows silica gel?
If someone has swallowed silica gel, give them some water to wash out the taste. If you are worried, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511. You do not need to call 911 about silica gel.
Last Updated: Tuesday May 17th 2016