Join Our Email List
While vaccine rollouts promise some light at the end of the tunnel, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continues to take a toll on health care providers, with many hospitals stretched thin … Continue reading →
What is water-based marker ink?
Water-based markers, including popular brands like Crayola, use an ink that is made out of a solution of water and nontoxic dies.
Water-based marker ink is not harmful if you swallow it. It may be irritating if you get it in your eyes.
What happens if someone gets marker ink in their mouth?
The person will be fine. Swallowing marker ink will not cause any symptoms. It may leave some coloring in the mouth or affect the color of the stool.
What happens if someone gets marker ink in their eyes?
The ink is can be irritating to the eyes, because eyes are very sensitive. It may also temporarily stain the eyes and surrounding skin.
What should I do if someone gets marker ink in their mouth?
Give the person a drink of water and wipe out their mouth with a damp cloth if there is ink you can see. Call the poison center 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511 if you have questions.
What should I do if someone gets marker ink in their eyes?
Rinse the person’s eyes out right away using warm water for 15 minutes, and contact the poison center—call 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511. The poison center can give you rinsing instructions and let you know what else to look for.
Last Updated: Tuesday October 4th 2016