Join Our Email List
During the COVID-19 pandemic, poison centers across the country have seen increases in certain types of poisonings. These poisoning risks will be of concern to teachers, nurses and other staff … Continue reading →
What is a crayon?
A crayon is a stick of colored wax used for drawing, coloring or writing.
Crayons are not poisonous if swallowed, but larger pieces can be a choking hazard.
What happens if someone swallows part of a crayon?
The person will be fine. Eating a bit of crayon will not cause any symptoms, but it may cause some coloring of the stool.
If someone swallows a large enough piece, they may choke, gag or spit up.
What should I do if someone has swallowed a crayon?
Give the person a bit of water to wash out the taste. If you are worried, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.
If the person appears to be choking, call 911.
How can I use crayons safely?
Even though crayons are nontoxic, young children can still choke on them. Consider buying large, thick crayons for young children who may put things in their mouths. Keep smaller crayons and other small parts out of their reach.
Last Updated: Tuesday September 6th 2016