- What are they?
- First Aid
What are cleaning products?
Cleaning products include a wide variety of chemicals that are used to clean dirty surfaces, such as tables, floors, dishes or furniture. Some common cleaning products are bleach, ammonia and soap.
Cleaning products are safe if you use them in the right way. Follow the product directions to find out:
- How much to use
- If you need to mix it with water
- If you need to open the windows or use it outside
- What kind of clothing or equipment you need (such as goggles or gloves)
- Whether you can or should mix it with other products
Some products can be harmful if you do not follow these directions.
Products that are made for commercial use are usually stronger and can be especially harmful if you use them in the wrong way.
What are the symptoms of cleaning product poisoning?
The dangers and symptoms of using a cleaning product in the wrong way depend on:
- The type of product
- How the product got on or in the person (eyes, mouth, nose, skin)
- How much the person got
- The person’s weight
- The person’s overall health. People with asthma or other breathing problems need to be especially careful around products with strong fumes.
For information on a specific product, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat now or text POISON to 85511.
What should I do if someone has been poisoned by a cleaning product?
Call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511 if:
- Someone has swallowed or breathed in a cleaning product
- Someone is having symptoms from getting a cleaning product in their eyes or on their skin
|If someone has passed out or is not breathing, call 911 right away.|
How can I prevent cleaning product poisonings?
Remember to read and follow the product directions to prevent poisonings from cleaning products.
Young children and pets are often poisoned by cleaning products. Keep all cleaning products in their original containers and store them up high, out of the reach of children.
Last Updated: Friday September 2nd 2016