April 2-8 is National Public Health Week. This year’s theme is “A Healthier America Begins Today: Join the Movement!” The goal is to encourage people to take preventive measures to improve their lives. There are five main themes, one of which is “A healthier America begins with living tobacco- and drug-free and preventing alcohol abuse.”
Take these little steps to prevent alcohol and other drug related poisonings:
• Program you cell phone with the poison center number, 1-800-222-1222.
• Keep medications and alcohol up high and out of the reach of young children. Take the pledge at www.upandaway.org.
• Make sure teenagers cannot access alcohol and medications in your home. Consider a locked cabinet. Keep track of how much alcohol and medication you have.
• Be a good role model. Avoid binge drinking, use of illegal drugs and the misuse of prescription medications.
• Get rid of unwanted or expired medications.
• If someone you know needs help with a substance abuse problem, find substance abuse treatment in your community at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).