Training Toothpaste

What is it?
Symptoms
First Aid
Safety Tips
 

What is training toothpaste?

Training toothpaste is a product intended for young children to use while learning to brush their teeth. It does not contain fluoride.

However, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Dental Association recommend using fluoride toothpaste for all children, starting when their first tooth comes in. Children up to 3 years old should use a smear, about the size of a grain of rice. Children 3 years and older can use a pea-sized amount.

What happens if a child swallows training toothpaste?

If someone swallows some training toothpaste they will be fine.

Swallowing a little training toothpaste or other toothpaste without fluoride will likely not cause any symptoms. If someone swallows a lot they could get an upset stomach or possibly have diarrhea.

What should I do if someone has swallowed training toothpaste?

If someone has swallowed training toothpaste or other toothpaste without fluoride, just give them some water to wash out the taste.

If they feel sick, or if you are worried, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.

  • Keep all dental products up high, out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet if possible.tubes of training toothpastes separate from tubes of toothpastes with fluoride.
  • If you have any questions about your medications or health products, ask your doctor or pharmacist, or contact the poison center—call 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.

Last Updated: Wednesday November 4th 2015