Loratadine

What is it?
Symptoms
First Aid
Safety Tips
 

What is loratadine?

Loratadine is an antihistamine medication used to treat allergy symptoms such as runny nose, itchy eyes and hives. It is available over the counter, without a prescription, and is the active ingredient in the medications Alavert and Claritin, among others.

What happens if you take too much loratadine?

Loratadine is a very safe medication and does not usually cause any symptoms. In rare cases taking too much can cause some drowsiness. It may also make your heart beat faster, give you a headache or make your stomach upset.

What should I do if someone has taken too much loratadine?

Call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511 if the person is having symptoms such as drowsiness, fast heart beat or throwing up.

While these symptoms are uncommon, if you are feeling drowsy after taking loratadine, avoid driving or operating machinery.

How can I avoid medication poisonings?

Use medications safely:

  • Always read the label on your medication bottles. It will tell you what the medication is and how much to take. Check the label each time you take the medication.
  • If you have any questions about your medication, ask your doctor or pharmacist or contact the poison center—call 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.
  • If you are taking more than one medication, keep track of them with a written schedule. Also keep a medication list to share with your doctors and pharmacist.

Store medications safely:

  • Always keep medication in its original container, or in a child-resistant pill reminder box. Never store medication in a household container like a sandwich bag or a film canister.

Get rid of medications safely:

  • Get rid of unwanted or expired medication. See our medication disposal page for more information.

See our medication page for more medication safety tips, including information on keeping young children and teens safe.

Last Updated: Tuesday October 4th 2016