Join Our Email List
Have you ever walked into a room to find a child’s face covered in marker ink? Fortunately, most common kids’ art supplies are nontoxic, and a quick call to the … Continue reading →
What are glow products?
Glow products are thin plastic tubes—often sticks, bracelets or necklaces—that contain chemicals that give off a glow. They can come in a variety of colors.
Young children or pets sometimes bite into glow products or break them. They may get the glow stick chemicals in their mouth, on their skin or in their eyes, which can cause some discomfort.
What happens if you get glow product liquid in your eyes?
Glow product liquid is most irritating to the eyes, because eyes are very sensitive. The liquid can cause a burning feeling, and in rare cases, pain or swelling.
What happens if you get glow product liquid on your skin?
Glow product liquid can cause some skin irritation, and if it’s left on the skin for a long time, it can cause sores or blisters.
What happens if you swallow glow product liquid?
Swallowing a little bit of liquid from a glow product usually will cause no more than a little irritation in the mouth and sometimes some stomach upset. Your mouth and lips may glow for a few minutes. In rare cases, you may throw up.
What happens if a dog or cat swallows glow product liquid?
Your pet may have irritation in its mouth, drool or even throw up.
What should I do if my child gets glow product liquid in their eyes?
Rinse your child’s eyes out right away using warm water for 15 minutes, and call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511. The poison center can give you rinsing instructions and let you know what else to look for.
What should I do if my child gets a glow product liquid on their skin?
Wash the area with soap and water right away. Call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511 if they develop any sores in the area. (This is not common.)
What should I do if my child gets glow product liquid in their mouth?
Give your child some water right away. If their mouth is irritated it may help to wipe it out with a damp cloth. Call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511 if your child is having symptoms.
What should I do if my dog or cat gets glow product liquid in its mouth?
Wipe out your pet’s mouth with a damp cloth, and make sure they have plenty of water to drink. Giving your pet a tasty treat can help them get rid of the bad taste—milk, tuna or soft pet food are good options.
Keep glow products away from young children who might bite into them. Keep an eye on children who are playing with glow products, and explain that these products should not be chewed on.
Keep the products out of the reach of pets.
Last Updated: Tuesday May 10th 2016