An emergency can happen at any time. Be prepared to take care of yourself and your family for at least three days. Start today by programming the poison center number, 1-800-222-1222, into your cell phone. Then follow these three steps from the Federal Emergency Management Agency:
1. Make a Kit
- Pull together items your family will need during a disaster. Visit www.ready.gov for a list.
- Make sure your kit includes at least a three-day supply of any medications you need.
- Keep the kit out of the reach of children.
2. Make a Plan
- Choose someone you know in a different town that you can have your family call if you are separated.
- Set up a meeting place for your family to gather.
- Check with your workplace and your children’s schools to find out what their emergency plans are.
3. Be Informed
- Learn about different types of emergencies and how they can affect your family. This will help you make quick changes to your family plan. Visit www.ready.gov for a list of possible dangers you could face.
The NNEPC’s R U Prepared program encourages students to program their cell phones with emergency hotline numbers.