Christmas Cactus

What is it?
Symptoms
First Aid
Safety Tips
 
Christmas Cactus
Christmas cactus photo by Christine Schmidt

What is Christmas cactus?

Christmas cactus is a decorative plant with pointed leaves and with flowers that usually bloom in December, when the days are short. Christmas cactus flowers can be a variety of colors, including red, pink, purple and orange.

Christmas cactus is not harmful to eat.

What happens if you swallow a piece of Christmas cactus?

Eating a small piece of a Christmas cactus will not cause any symptoms.

If a child or pet swallows a large enough piece they may choke on it.  

What should I do if someone swallows a piece of Christmas cactus?

If someone has swallowed part of a Christmas cactus, give them some water to wash out the taste. If you are worried, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.

How can I prevent plant poisonings?

  • Know what plants are in your home or yard and find out if they are poisonous.
    • You can take a piece of a plant to a local greenhouse, garden center, nursery or agricultural extension office to have it identified.
    • Once you know what plants you have, contact the poison center to find out if they are poisonous. Call 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.
  • Avoid having poisonous plants in your home if you have young children or pets, or keep the plants up high out of reach. Remove poisonous plants from your yard.

Last Updated: Friday September 2nd 2016