Amaryllis

Amaryllis
Symptoms
First Aid
Prevention
 
Amaryllis
Amaryllis by Dwight Sipler
(Creative Commons)

What is amaryllis?

Amaryllis is a decorative plant with lily-like flowers that is usually bought as a bulb. It is often sold in the winter because it can bloom indoors. Amaryllis bulbs are harmful to eat.

What happens if you swallow an amaryllis bulb?

If someone eats a large part of an amaryllis bulb, they may feel sick to their stomach or throw up. They may also get diarrhea.

Amaryllis bulbs can be particularly harmful to pets. If a dog or cat eats one, they may throw up, not feel like eating, have stomach pains, get diarrhea and possibly have tremors (shaking).

What should I do if someone has swallowed an amaryllis bulb?

If a person has eaten part of an amaryllis plant:

  • Take all the pieces out of their mouth.
  • Give them a few sips of water or milk.
  • Call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222, chat online or text POISON to 85511.

What should I do if a pet has swallowed an amaryllis bulb?

If your dog or cat has eaten part of an amaryllis plant, contact the poison center. Depending on how your pet is doing, we may recommend you call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

How can I prevent amaryllis poisonings?

To prevent amaryllis poisonings, keep the plants up high, out of the reach of young children and pets.

If you have young children or pets in your home, you may want to avoid amaryllis plants altogether.

Last Updated: Monday April 25th 2016