Christmas tree decorations – Are they safe?

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Ever wonder if your Christmas tree decorations are poisonous to your pets or kids? Most likely, your ornaments are nontoxic, but if you have young children or dogs or cats, there are some steps you can follow to keep them safe.

At our house, you can tell how fragile, expensive or potentially harmful an ornament is by where it was hung on our tree. The very top has the glass, antique and sentimental ones. The bottom branches, where our kids can reach, have very few ornaments.

Bubble light

Bubble light by Di Bédard

In particular, we avoid hanging the following types of ornaments on the bottom branches:

  • Older ornaments. These may contain lead paint, which can be harmful if a young child or pet puts the ornament in their mouth.
  • Angel hair. This is made from spun glass, which can irritate a child’s mouth or eyes.
  • Bubble lights. Some of these contain methylene chloride, which can irritate or burn a child’s mouth or skin if they bite into a light. They may also get a headache, feel sick to their stomach, or feel drowsy.

Just a few things to keep in mind when decorating your tree. Most of your decorations will be fine, but if you have any concerns, just give us a call (1-800-222-1222) or chat now.

 

This entry was posted in Poison Prevention. Bookmark the permalink.