Are your holiday plants poisonous to your pets?

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Earlier this week, we talked about which holiday plants are poisonous to people, but keep in mind that some things that won’t harm a person can be poisonous to your cat or dog.

Amaryllis is one holiday plant that is harmful to pets—especially the bulb. If a dog or cat eats the bulb they will throw up, not feel like eating, have stomach pains, get diarrhea and possibly have tremors.

Holly, Jerusalem cherry and mistletoe are all harmful for cats, dogs and horses. If your pet eats a little bit of one of these plants they may throw up and have diarrhea. If they eat a larger amount they could have worse symptoms. Jerusalem cherry can give them seizures and mistletoe can slow down their heart.

To keep your pets safe this holiday season, keep plants and other harmful items up and out of the reach. Call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222 or chat to learn more about what plants and substances may be poisonous to your pet.

Remember that pets are different from people. For difficult poisonings, the NNEPC may recommend you call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

This entry was posted in Poison Prevention. Bookmark the permalink.