Stay safe while spring cleaning

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

The weather is getting warmer and that means it’s time for spring cleaning. Open the windows and let the fresh air in!

Cleaning supplies

While you’re making your living space tidy, remember to use cleaning products safely.

  • Read the directions on the label of any cleaner you use. Pay attention to warnings about ventilating the area by keeping the windows open, keeping children and pets away.
  • Do not mix cleaning products. One common mistake is mixing bleach with a product that contains ammonia. This produces chloramine gas, which can be extremely irritating to the eyes and lungs. The product label will tell you if it contains ammonia.
  • Store products in their original containers. Avoid transferring them to milk jugs, soda bottles or other containers, because someone may accidentally drink the cleaner.
  • Keep the cap on cleaning products as much as possible while using them, and put products away as soon as you are finished. Store cleaning products up high, out of the reach of children and pets.

Remember the poison center is here for you 24/7. Whether your child swallowed a cleaning product, or you got one on your skin or in your eyes, help is just a quick call away at 1-800-222-1222. You can also chat online or text POISON to 85511.

This entry was posted in National News, Poison Prevention. Bookmark the permalink.