Broken snow globe? There may be more than water inside

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Many people think that snow globes are just filled with water. But some globes, especially ones from overseas, actually have a small amount of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) mixed in. This can help keep the water from freezing during shipping, but ethylene glycol can be very harmful if you swallow it.

While a child probably would not be able to swallow enough to have a problem, it’s possible for a cat or dog to lick up enough to harm them.

If your snow globe breaks, keep children and pets away while you clean up. Use paper towels to absorb the spill, and then throw the used towels away.

If you think someone swallowed some of the liquid, or if someone got it in their eyes, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222 or chat online. If your pet licked up some of the liquid, call your veterinarian.

Stay safe this holiday season: Keep snow globes up high, out of the reach of young children. If you need to dust your snow globe, put it on a table or another place where it cannot easily fall and break.

This entry was posted in National News, Poison Prevention. Bookmark the permalink.